Death From Above 1979, also known simply as Death From Above, is a rock duo from Toronto, Canada. The band only consists of two members: Sebastien Grainger handling the drums and lead singing duties, and Jesse Keeler, who handles the bass, backing vocals and the synthesizer.
The group has struggled over the years to keep a consistent name, going back and forth as Death From Above to Death From Above 1979 because of a dispute with Death From Above Records. To resolve the dispute, they added 1979 to the name. Since then the name has been changed back, and back again.
The duo’s sound has been described as pop punk rock, dance punk, noise rock, along with a slew of other labels. The sound created by the two is unique in the guitar and other sounds in their music is created with synthesizers and a bass guitar with effects pedals. Their sound could be compared to Royal Blood.
- Heads Up EP (Released in 2002)
- You’re A Woman, I’m A Machine (Released in 2004)
- The Physical World (Released in 2014)
- Outrage! Is Now (Released in 2017)
- Is For Lovers (Released in 2021)
- Sebastien Alexandre Grainger (Drums/ Lead Vocals)
- Jesse Frederick Keeler (Bass/ Backing Vocals/ Synthesizer)