Cage The Elephant is a garage/indie rock band that emerged in 2008 with “In One Ear” and “No Rest For The Wicked” from their successful Self-Titled debut album Cage The Elephant.
The band comes from Bowling Green, Kentucky and has been described with various labels including indie and garage rock, alternative, punk blues, and post-grunge.
When the group first emerged, many critics deemed them a copycat act, with similar sounds and stylings “stolen” from more talented musicians. But Cage proved them wrong with longevity and creative, artistic albums and songs.
Rock, Punk & Alternative Influences
The band is led by singer Matthew Shultz, and shares the group with brother Brad Shultz, who plays rhythm guitar. Also in the band is lead guitar player Nick Bockrath, keyboardist Matthan Minster, bassist Daniel Tichenor and drummer Jared Champion.
Many fans adore Cage The Elephant for their honest lyrics by Matt Shultz, unique songs from album to album, and a sixth sense to stay relevant as rock music changes, evidenced by their latest 2018 release Social Cues.
Cage The Elephant Albums
- Cage The Elephant (Self-Titled, Released in 2008)
- Thank You, Happy Birthday (Released in 2011)
- Melophobia (Released in 2013)
- Tell Me I’m Pretty (Released in 2015)
- Social Cues (Released in 2019)
Band Members (Past & Present)
- Matt Shultz (Lead Vocals, Guitar)
- Brad Shultz (Lead Guitar, Keyboard)
- Daniel Tichenor (Bassist, Backup Vocals)
- Jared Champion (Drums, Percussion)
- Matthan Minster (Piano, Keyboards, Backup Vocals)
- Nick Bockrath (Guitar, Backup Vocals)
- Lincoln Parish (Guitar, Keyboards)